Position: Senior Research Associate - Microbiology/Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
Reports to: Vice President of Research
ContraFect Corporation, a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of protein therapeutics and antibody products for life-threatening, drug-resistant infectious diseases. We are committed to innovative drug development, leading the way with novel technologies to create new therapies that address the high unmet medical needs of patients suffering from serious infections for which there are limited available treatment options. The company is located in Westchester County, near New York City.
An opportunity is available to grow with us in an environment that is both challenging and energetic.
ContraFect is seeking self-motivated and collaborative individuals to join our team and to contribute their talent and expertise. We are looking for positive individuals who will add to our committed and dedicated employee base and contribute to the development of novel therapeutic agents which have the potential to change the therapeutic landscape for treating serious infections.
It is an exciting time in our Company’s history. CF-301, our lead compound, is the first and only bacteriophage-derived lysin (cell wall hydrolase) to enter clinical trials in the US. CF-301, which targets
Staphylococcus aureus, including MRSA, is the first of a new class of protein-based therapeutics for the treatment of serious bacterial infections. CF-301 is currently being studied in a multinational, multicenter Phase 2 clinical trial for the treatment of S. aureus bacteremia including endocarditis. In addition to CF-301, we have an exciting pre-clinical and discovery pipeline of lysins targeting antibiotic resistant gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Our primary focus in on developing treatments for bacteria designated by CDC and the WHO as urgent or serious threats of critical or high priority.
We are using ContraFect’s technical expertise to develop biotherapeutic products for infectious diseases that have high unmet medical needs, particularly products used in hospital-based markets.
The position will provide an important research role in Microbiology by participating in the day-to-day operation of the ContraFect Microbiology Laboratory and the performance of development studies in the field of protein-based therapeutics to treat serious bacterial infections. Working with a team of researchers at ContraFect, the position will entail a range of research activities including lysin identification and characterization, antimicrobial susceptibility testing, molecular cloning, protein engineering, expression and purification, in vitro microbiologic profiling, as well as bioassays to support preclinical studies (e.g. ELISAs, etc.).
- Perform research activities in a diverse microbiology laboratory with a wide research base, which includes handling, maintenance and study of pathogenic microorganisms, antimicrobial susceptibility testing (MIC, MBEC, checkerboard, time-kill, lytic assays, synergy studies, resistance determinations, etc.), mutagenesis and genetic screens, mechanism of action studies, identification and development of novel antimicrobial agents, as well as planning, executing and reporting the results of experiments. scheduling and oversight of experiments
- Perform activities associated with molecular cloning and plasmid production in E. coli, creative protein design and optimization, recombinant protein expression, purification, and characterization, DNA library preparation and screening, and cell-based activity assays
- Actively participate in the planning, conduct and reporting of experiments performed in the lab
- Maintain clear, legible and detailed laboratory notebooks and computer files
- Maintain a clean work environment and participate in general lab maintenance
- Proficiency in analyzing data, analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to resolve routine issues using appropriate information
- Author study reports utilizing appropriate format at the direction of senior lab personnel
- Support the development of abstracts, presentations and manuscripts
- Present data to ContraFect senior R+D leadership team at the direction of supervisory personnel
- Present data at scientific meetings and congresses
- Masters degree or PhD (or equivalent work experience) in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related field with 3+ years of hands on research experience in an industrial or academic setting
- Prior experience in a drug-discovery setting is a plus
- Previous experience in microbiology with a working understanding of molecular biological and/or biochemical techniques
- Prior work with standard scientific equipment as described in relevant procedures; UV spectrophotometer, balances, chromatography columns, SDS-PAGE, autoclaves, pH meter, refrigerators, freezers, biohazard safety cabinets
- Meticulous organization and record keeping skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to participate with others as a member of the team to ensure that projects are handled smoothly and cooperatively to enhance success of project and maintain strong relationships within all parts of company
- Ability to work flexible hours to complete tasks as required
Please fill out the form below to submit your resume