Position: Research Technician/Senior Technician - Protein Biochemistry/Microbiology/Molecular Biology
Employment Status: Full-Time
ContraFect Corporation is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of protein therapeutics and antibody products for life-threatening, drug-resistant infectious diseases. We are committed to innovative drug development, leading the way with novel technologies to create new therapies that address the high unmet medical needs of patients suffering from serious infections for which there are limited available treatment options. The company is located in Westchester County, near New York City.
An opportunity is available to grow with us in an environment that is both challenging and energetic.
ContraFect is seeking self-motivated and collaborative individuals to join our team and to contribute their talent and expertise. We are looking for positive individuals who will add to our committed and dedicated employee base and contribute to the development of novel therapeutic agents which have the potential to change the therapeutic landscape for treating serious infections.
It is an exciting time in our Company’s history. Exebacase (CF-301), our lead compound, is the first and only bacteriophage-derived lysin (cell wall hydrolase) to enter clinical trials in the US and recently reported positive results from a Phase 2 Proof of Concept clinical trial for the treatment of S. aureus bacteremia including endocarditis. Exebacase, which targets Staphylococcus aureus, including MRSA, is the first of a new class of direct lytic agents for the treatment of serious bacterial infections. Beyond exebacase, we have an exciting pre-clinical and discovery pipeline of lysins and other direct lytic agents targeting antibiotic resistant Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Our primary focus in on developing treatments for bacteria designated by CDC and the WHO as urgent or serious threats of critical or high priority.
We are using ContraFect’s technical expertise to develop biotherapeutic products for infectious diseases that have high unmet medical needs, particularly products to treat critically ill, hospitalized patients with serious and potentially life threatening infections.
Position Summary: The position will play an integral role in the day-to-day operation of the ContraFect Research Laboratory and conduct of studies in the field of protein-based therapeutics to treat serious bacterial infection.
- Perform research activities in a diverse microbiology laboratory with a wide research base
- Expression, purification, and characterization of recombinant protein targets and protein candidate therapeutics
- Use of standard antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST) methodologies, including those defined by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI), to study antimicrobial activity (e.g. MIC, MBEC, checkerboard, time-kill, lytic assays, synergy studies, resistance determinations, etc.)
- Mechanism of action studies
- Bioassays to support preclinical studies (e.g. ELISAs, etc.)
- Handling, maintenance and study of BSL2 microorganisms
- Activities associated with molecular cloning and plasmid production in coli, creative protein design and optimization, DNA library preparation and screening, and cell-based activity assays
- Participate in the technical aspects of lab-based protein production and purification.
- Participate in the planning, conduct and reporting of experiments performed in the lab
- Maintain clear, legible and detailed laboratory notebooks and computer files
- Maintain a clean work environment and participate in general lab maintenance
- Proficiency in analyzing data, analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to resolve routine issues using appropriate information
- Support the development of abstracts, presentations and manuscripts
- A Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology or related field with 3+ years of hands on research experience in an industrial or academic setting working directly in areas related to the expression, purification, and characterization of recombinant protein targets and protein candidate therapeutics. PhD candidates will also be considered.
- Previous experience in microbiology with a working understanding of molecular biological techniques
- Prior experience in a drug-discovery setting in pharmaceutical industry or biotechnology company is a plus
- Prior work with standard scientific equipment as described in relevant procedures; UV spectrophotometer, balances, chromatography columns, SDS-PAGE, autoclaves, pH meter, refrigerators, freezers, biohazard safety cabinets
- Meticulous organization and record keeping skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively with others as a member of the team to ensure that projects are handled smoothly and cooperatively to enhance success of project and maintain strong relationships within all parts of company
- Ability to work flexible hours to complete tasks as required
Please fill out the form below to submit your resume